Payments to Governments
Compliance with Reporting of Payments
Canadian Natural and its subsidiaries comply with legislative reporting of payments made to governments in relation to oil and natural gas extractive activities.
The Canadian Government’s Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act (the “Act” or “ESTMA”) was enacted on December 16, 2014 and brought into force on June 1, 2015. The Act delivers on Canada’s international commitments to contribute to global efforts to increase transparency and deter corruption in the extractive sector. The Act requires extractive entities in Canada to publicly disclose, on an annual basis, cash payments made to all governments in Canada and abroad. (Note that ESTMA report information does not tie with annual financial information due to it being limited to extractive activities, on a cash basis, and includes payments made on behalf of joint venture partners).
The legislation is administered by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). ESTMA legislation and more information on NRCan’s activities, including links to all filed ESTMA reports, can be found on NRCan’s website.
The Government of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland has enacted The Report on Payments to Governments regulation 2014 No.3209. The legislation is very similar to Canadian ESTMA legislation and requires UK companies and their subsidiaries to report payments made in regard to the extraction of minerals (including crude oil and natural gas) and logging activities. Reports are filed with Companies House and available on its website.
The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) is a global non-profit organization that sets a global standard to promote the open and accountable management of crude oil, natural gas and mineral resources. Canadian Natural has operations in two EITI member countries — the UK and Côte d’Ivoire. EITI reports are prepared at a country level and available on the EITI website. The reports are listed below.
- Year Ended December 31, 2022
- Year Ended December 31, 2021
- Year Ended December 31, 2020
- Year Ended December 31, 2019
- Year Ended December 31, 2018
- Year Ended December 31, 2017
- Year Ended December 31, 2016
Acquired Company ESTMA Reporting
In accordance with the terms of ESTMA, the Company makes available those previously filed reports of companies it has acquired. The reports of these companies are listed below.
Readers are cautioned that the ESTMA reports provided below are based on historical information as prepared and filed by an entity prior to acquisition and do not necessarily reflect the same methodologies of preparation as followed by Canadian Natural in its own filings. Canadian Natural does not alter the original filings in any manner.
- 2020 Storm Resources Ltd.
- 2019 Storm Resources Ltd.
- 2018 Storm Resources Ltd.
- 2017 Storm Resources Ltd.
- 2016 Storm Resources Ltd.
- 2019 Painted Pony Energy Ltd.
- 2018 Painted Pony Energy Ltd.
- 2017 Painted Pony Energy Ltd.
- 2017 UGR Blair Creek Ltd.
- 2016 Painted Pony Energy Ltd.
- 2016 UGR Blair Creek Ltd.
- 2021 Petronas Sasol Montney Partnership
- 2020 Petronas Sasol Montney Partnership
- 2019 Petronas Sasol Montney Partnership
- 2018 Progress Sasol Montney Partnership
- 2017 Progress Sasol Montney Partnership
- 2016 Progress Sasol Montney Partnership