The Building Futures Scholarship Program contributes to the ongoing development of a qualified workforce for the future of our industry. Canadian Natural takes great pride in investing in education and our youth, and this program is a critical part of those efforts.
To qualify for the scholarship, student applicants must be a child or dependent of a Canadian Natural employee and/or an Indigenous student from the communities near our operations. These requirements are effective for 2023 and align with our mission statement, reinforcing the important concept of “developing people.” They also allow Canadian Natural to support Canadian Natural employees and their families, as well as students from the many Indigenous communities near our operations.
TO BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A SCHOLARSHIP ALL STUDENTS MUST:
- Be a child/dependent (spouses not eligible) of a Canadian Natural employee and/or Indigenous (First Nations, Metis and Inuit included). For Indigenous applicants, you must be able to provide proof of your status either through official identification or a letter from community leadership
- Be a resident of Western Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba) for at least one year prior to application. Students from communities where Canadian Natural has operations will receive added consideration
- Hold a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Be pursuing an area of study that is relevant to the oil and natural gas industry and/or that supports the communities where these activities occur
- Maintain a passing GPA of at least 2.5, which is the equivalent of approximately 70% or a C+
All applications that meet the above requirements are reviewed by Canadian Natural’s Building Futures Advisory Committee. Scholarship amounts to students will be evaluated and awarded through careful consideration of the following key criteria: student’s grades, field of study and relevance to the oil and gas industry, location of the student’s home town in relation to Canadian Natural’s operations, and the student’s community involvement. In addition, financial hardship challenges will also be considered during the review process.
Through the Building Futures Scholarship, Canadian Natural has awarded almost $1.2 million to more than 1,200 qualified applicants from 2008-2020.
We encourage applicants to use the online application form. Alternatively, applicants can download and print a pdf copy to fill out and mail back to us.
Applications are accepted two times a year. Deadlines for each application period are August 15 and December 15.
Please click on the items below for more information.
If you have any questions about the Building Futures Scholarship or require any further information please contact us here.