The Building Futures Scholarship Program plays a crucial role in shaping the future workforce for our industry. Canadian Natural takes great pride in investing in education and our youth, and this program is a critical part of those efforts.
These requirements are effective as of November 2023 and align with our mission statement, reinforcing the important concept of “developing people.” They also allow Canadian Natural to support Canadian Natural employees and their families, as well as students from the many Indigenous communities near our operations.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Relationship: Be a child/dependent of a Canadian Natural employee (spouses are not eligible) and/or be an Indigenous student from a community near Canadian Natural operations. Indigenous applicants must provide proof of status through official identification or a letter from community leadership.
- Residency: Be a resident of Western Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba) for at least one year before the application.
- Identification: Hold a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Field of Study: Priority consideration for award will be given to those pursuing an area of study relevant to the oil and natural gas industry.
- Academic Performance / Registration: Maintain a passing GPA of at least 2.5 (approximately 70% or a C+) and be enrolled in a minimum of three courses in semester you are applying for.
- Education: Attending post-secondary, masters or trade-school. Please note that scholarships are not available for terms that include a co-op placement.
All applications meeting the above criteria undergo review by Canadian Natural’s Building Futures Advisory Committee.
Scholarships awarded based on key criteria, including:
- Grades and career plan
- Field of study relevance to the industry
- Location in relation to Canadian Natural’s operations
- Community involvement / volunteerism
- Financial hardship challenges are also considered.
Application Submission: We encourage the use of the online application form. Alternatively, applicants can download and print a PDF copy for mailing.
Application Periods: Only one application per student accepted in a calendar year
- Fall Semester: July 10 – August 15
- Winter Semester: November 10 – December 15
For more information and to access the application forms, please click on the items below:
If you have any questions or need further information about the Building Futures Scholarship, please contact us here.