Canadian Natural is committed to ongoing development of innovative and economically effective solutions to reduce and manage air emissions. Our actions focus on use of technology as well as continuous improvement in operational performance to improve energy conservation and efficiency.
Canadian Natural manages air emissions through an integrated emissions reduction strategy to meet performance goals and comply with requirements for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and air pollutants such as sulphur dioxide (SO2) and oxides of nitrogen (NOX). Our emission reduction initiatives are based on six core principles:
- Improving energy conservation and efficiency;
- Reducing emission intensity;
- Developing and adopting innovative technology and supporting associated research and development;
- Trading capacity, both domestically and globally;
- Offsetting emissions; and
- Considering life cycle costs of emission reductions in decision-making about project development.